window.location.replace("http://debbie-debbiedoos.com/?b2w=http://debbie-debbiedoos.blogspot.com/2010/02/tea-for-twoand-history-of.html"); -->

This Page

has been moved to new address

Tea for Two....and the history of...

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Debbiedoo's: Tea for Two....and the history of...

Debbiedoo's

Diy, thrifty home decor decorating ideas on a budget. Painting furniture, stenciling projects. Turning trash to treasure.

Monday, February 22, 2010

Tea for Two....and the history of...

http://i-refuse-to-recede.blogspot.com   Tuesday Trivia over at refusing to receded.... sounds like fun to me, who does not want to learn a thing or two in our OLD age?  This is a perfect post, here are some facts about tea, bet you didn't know!!~ I also wanted to participate in the tea for two party...over at the Plumedpen blogspot....  THis party got me to thinking about tea and parties and the history of it all....so here is my research on it, and I hope you partake in the tea party soon....
http://www.emilyquilts.com/emilyquilts/Tea%20Party.jpg
The English ceremony of Afternoon Tea dates back to the 1840s but rather than being 'invented', it actually evolved out of the rituals and routines that had surrounded tea drinking in Britain before that time.  
The English started drinking tea in the late 1650s and as both the brewed beverage and the dry loose leaves were extremely expensive, it immediately became the drink of the royal family and the aristocracy. Wealthy gentlemen drank their tea in London's coffee houses and upper class ladies bought very small amounts of loose leaf tea and drank the brew at home with their friends and family. 
The ships that carried the tea from China and Japan to Europe also brought in, as part of their cargo, porcelain tea pots, tea bowls and neat little jars for storing the tea. Like the new exotic drink, these attracted the attention of the rich who bought some for their own use at home. They were stored, not in the kitchens or dining room cupboards, but on shelves in the lady's private closet - a small room near or next to her bedchamber where she received visitors and offered them some refreshment. From the 1660s, that refreshment was usually tea.  
And the tradition has lasted until now. Afternoon Tea is still the ideal way to entertain neighbors, friends, and even business acquaintances. It still creates the same elegant, refined, calm atmosphere that was enjoyed by the English during those previous 350 years of tea drinking. 

Hope you enjoyed your refresher lesson on tea...I think I am going to grab me some Green tea right now!~~
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiWxDukWNhjObO20NY6VUEVuJCSaMch3xxFOG2jROMWu77eEmGrU64-3zQdpE2-yGu5Gmf31PgQ4v_JAYtKFROznErKywfWoiuNKTKBGJY4-K_DwtYK1SCLkdwWFAzOxVOtQM-bKXGNioMi/s220/A-copyforweb-267.jpghttp://theplumedpen.blogspot.com

~ How about some TEa for tWo??Some of my followers may have seen this tea party setting already.....:)
 
 
 

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Pam - @diy Design Fanatic said...

The pink tea quilt is adorable! Thanks for the lesson.I love tea and drink it every morning with breakfast. I have been to high tea at the Four Seasons in Newport Beach,CA & at a quaint cottage (can't think of the name of it) near Ocean Isle Beach, NC. It's a fun outing with girlfriends and there is lots of food, not just tea. I also attended an annual tea at our church in California. So fun. I'll take the quaint cottage tea to the stuffy high tea any day!

February 22, 2010 at 11:34 AM  
Blogger linda said...

that was a great tid bit of information on tea love learning now can i have a cup of tea please :)

February 22, 2010 at 11:36 AM  
Blogger Debbiedoos said...

My Mom, sis and I went a to a little tea house In Florida once...it was such a charming experience...and those little square sandwiches where so good, and the little sauces too.....only thing is I left there hungry LOL!!~ wanting more food!

February 22, 2010 at 11:39 AM  
Blogger Angie said...

My Grandmother is from England. Every year for Mother's day My Mother hosts a tea party where everyone is required to dress up Victorian. It's a great time for all the women in our family to get together. All this talk of tea, I think I'll pour myself a cup of cranberry green tea! ;)

February 22, 2010 at 12:56 PM  
Blogger Wanda Lee said...

Wow!!

~Everything is simply fabulous and that "tea history primer" is nothing short of fascinating, marvelous and so information rich as well!..,I read every word and detail and thoroughly enjoyed reading all those interesting tidbits of history!..,

Your pink tea quilt is darling, and those fab photos; well sufficed to say my dear, I'm "in tea heaven" right now!~ I am absolutely delighted to have you join us for , TUESDAY TEA FOR TWO, this week, (and many more weeks as well, I hope)!..,

In answer to your question, I do plan on using "Mr. Liinky", (yet I had experienced technical problems with my email account and had that wee "glitch" to overcome in the past, in the past)~ I'll try once more this week; (, so many bloggers use it,surely it can't be too hard to use)!..,So cheerfully onward we go!!..,

Have a marvelous day sweetie!

Cheers and hugs from Wanda Lee @ The Plumed Pen

February 22, 2010 at 1:42 PM  
Blogger ~✽Mumsy✽~ said...

I like the information on tea, and I have all kind of herbal teas. My favorite is chamomile..

Beautiful quilt and fabulous tea set..

February 22, 2010 at 2:55 PM  
Blogger Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Thanks for the tea history lesson. I did not know all that. I love green tea, too.

February 22, 2010 at 3:45 PM  
Blogger LV said...

I love your pink tea set. Also, enjoyed hearing the history of it.

February 22, 2010 at 5:13 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Thanks for the information on tea. I really like the photo with you pouring the tea...lovely!

February 22, 2010 at 9:45 PM  
Anonymous Troy @ I Refuse to Recede said...

Very interesting post, and just the kind of fascinating and informative posts I am hoping to see join me for my Tuesday Trivia Tie-in. I'd love to see you link up.

Troy

February 23, 2010 at 12:19 AM  
Anonymous Diann @ The Thrifty Groove said...

Hi Debbie!

I am a major fan of tea and the whole tea ceremony! I have hosted a Victoria Tea and a cople of "high teas". I love the whole taking the time to sit with some tea and just relax with a friend or friends!

February 23, 2010 at 2:32 AM  
Blogger Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Debbie...

I'm coming over from Wanda's Tea Party for Two! Ohhh...what a lovely tea table you've set! I always...always enjoy seeing a pretty teapot and all those dainty little tea cups! I really enjoyed reading the history of England's teas! I found the fact that the lady of the house kept her teapots and tea in a private closet in her bedchamber...to be most interesting! Wow...I learn something new every day! Thank you, for sharing your fabulous tea table with us and all the interesting facts!!!

Warmest wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

February 23, 2010 at 2:45 AM  
Anonymous Troy @ I Refuse to Recede said...

Debbie,
Thanks for joining my first Tuesday Trivia Tie-in.

I enjoyed learning new things about tea. Armed with that knowledge, I imagine my wife is now going to want me to build her a special cabinet by her nightstand to keep teapots and assorted tea accessories.

I hope to see you join again, you're invited back each and every week.

Troy

February 23, 2010 at 8:12 PM  
Blogger Duchess of Tea said...

Lovely tea post darling, I wish I could come through my screen and drink a cup with you.

Love & Hugs
Duchess

February 24, 2010 at 2:44 PM  
Anonymous Erin said...

Tea is underrated, for certain. I personally like peppermint tea, soothes the tummy, yummy! When I first had my youngest, my IBS flared up and the local tea establishment was good to call up and order my peppermint and get some relief! Plus the "Tea Lady" and I share customers/clients and like to referr to each other.

February 25, 2010 at 11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home