window.location.replace("http://debbie-debbiedoos.com/?b2w=http://debbie-debbiedoos.blogspot.com/2010/03/spanish-style-mission-and-our.html"); -->

This Page

has been moved to new address

SpaNish style MisSion and our insPiration~

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Debbiedoo's: SpaNish style MisSion and our insPiration~

Debbiedoo's

Diy, thrifty home decor decorating ideas on a budget. Painting furniture, stenciling projects. Turning trash to treasure.

Thursday, March 11, 2010

SpaNish style MisSion and our insPiration~

I have mentioned from time to time that my husband and I have been very influenced by the Spanish artifacts and styles.  It really started after a trip to Arizona and visiting a Spanish mission.  We where in awww of it all!~ We love looking at it, and love people asking questions about the history of our collections We lived in a Spanish style home in Florida, so the style was easy to achieve there.  Moving here to the Carolinas we continued with the look and feel we  have achieved it.  Here is some inspiration of the beauty we see, and hope you see the same.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2178/1927357213_b6b71c5c0b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2520/3994411624_928112f406.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3408/3255317605_7e4e9a797a.jpg?v=0

History of Spanish Missions Arizona

Long before Arizona became part of the United States, it was home to several indigenous groups including the Tohono O’odham, the Sobaipuri, the Pima and the Apaches.
These agrarian and hunter-gatherer cultures lived along the Santa Cruz and San Pedro Rivers - and throughout the Sonoran Desert - for several centuries before the arrival of Anglos into what is now Southern Arizona.
The first Europeans to arrive in the Southwest were the Spanish Conquistadors.
As they conquered the Americas, they were soon followed by the Jesuit missionaries.
By order of the Spanish government, the Jesuits were sent to "New Spain" to create a series of missions with the goal of converting the indigenous people into devout, tax-paying Christians.
One of the most well-known of these Jesuits was Father Eusebio Francisco Kino.
Many Missions still exist, and California is a top stop to tour them. If ever given the opportunity to go to one, I would recommend it, it truly will leave you feeling the sense of history and beauty that we come to know. 




Connecting energetically with sacred sites in the world allows you access to their peace and power if you cannot visit.
Do you find you are drawn to a certain style or are you eclectic?  perhaps you just do not know! Here is a mosaic of some of our favorite pieces in our home!


 






 

Labels: , , , ,

21 Comments:

Blogger Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I am definitely eclectic, but mostly drawn to French or English country and a little cottage, too.

March 11, 2010 at 1:33 PM  
Blogger Jemsmom said...

I am totally eclectic with a lean to European tendencies. I used to love trinkets and kitsch, but find myself even leaning toward nice and clean. I am by no means contemporary though!

You will have to reread my last post! I totally forgot about biting my child! Tom came home after I posted and asked me if I had blocked it. I guess I did! He told me to change it to the REAL story so we could have it for always!! I couldn't believe I had forgotten it so soon!!! :-)

March 11, 2010 at 2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What beautiful pictures Debbie! My style that I'm drawn to is definitely French country. Thanks for sharing those great pictures. Martina

March 11, 2010 at 2:46 PM  
Blogger Pam - @diy Design Fanatic said...

I love Spanish style homes. Always wanted to have one with a courtyard in the middle of the house. Living in California & going to Catholic School growing up, we went to many Missions on field trips.

March 11, 2010 at 3:14 PM  
Blogger Pam - @diy Design Fanatic said...

Forgot to add ... maybe that is the reason I love your home so much!

March 11, 2010 at 3:16 PM  
Blogger Sonny G said...

My sister in az loves this style Debbie. They have used it in their home for 17 years. It has such a calm and peaceful feeling, almost reverent. I can see why you and your DH love it.
My style is more french country I think with as many antiques as I can afford to add on a serious budget.

March 11, 2010 at 3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I' not even aware of what style originated where, but i really like all that you displayed- the doorway in the first image is beautiful. Very regal!

March 11, 2010 at 4:39 PM  
Blogger Kevin, Page, Andrew and Austin said...

Hi Debbie! How beautiful! Love the architecture!...Debbie

March 11, 2010 at 6:22 PM  
Blogger LV said...

This is wonderful viewing of the missions and churches. All of them are so pretty. Great job. Always pleased when you stop by for a visit.

March 11, 2010 at 6:54 PM  
Blogger le Chef said...

I love the Spanish style. Anything organic is my thing. Stone, wood, leather, mission, cottage, farm.
I can't stand the metal ans glass thing some houses have going on. It feels cold and clinical to me.

March 11, 2010 at 7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've got some stunning pieces there. They give me a warm feeling.

March 11, 2010 at 10:02 PM  
Blogger xinex said...

I am definiely eclectic too, Debbie. I like so many styles and I have to have a little of everything. I like Spanish too especially the wood carvings and the arches. I also like Asian, French, tribal and Italian and maybe a pinch of cottagey...Christine

March 11, 2010 at 10:03 PM  
Blogger My Cottage Charm said...

I LOVE that arch in the first pic, very beautiful! :)
Thanks for visiting my blog today and I'm really glad you like my kitchen. It was SO much work, but it was SO worth every minute of it. :) I used to HATE that room, but now it's my favorite in the whole house. :)
Hope you'll visit again!
Have a wonderful "rest of the week". :)

March 11, 2010 at 10:38 PM  
Blogger Tawny said...

The architecture really is amazing and beautiful all at the same time. I just love the feeling of the Missions!

March 11, 2010 at 11:09 PM  
Blogger Tawny said...

The architecture is great in the Spanish Missions! Missions really do amaze me. It's so interesting to me to walk through and look at pictures and think that there was so much history in that place.
From teaching 5th grade I just recently found so much interest in American History-oh, I just LOVE Colonial America!

March 11, 2010 at 11:09 PM  
Blogger kay said...

I love the picture of the church, also your pieces are beautiful. Pieces like that in a home give such a warm calming feeling.

March 12, 2010 at 1:20 AM  
Blogger People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

I'm drawn to rich patina on wood, punctuated with vintage items that were used by ordinary folks.

I'm all about welcome, warmth and comfort....come in a put your feet up, wrap yourself up in a blanket.

A bit rustic; a bit cottage.

Nothing froo-froo or contemporary.

March 12, 2010 at 5:34 AM  
Blogger Full of Grace said...

Absolutely stunning! I have always loved many different styles of art and architecture (not typically modern although I can appreciate the artists I just cannot share their vision)

Thanks for posting a comment on my blog- after reading your comment and another, I felt I came across pathetic- sorry about that! I do have a different blog that I had to set to private due to a not so nice person at fullofgracenblessingsinabundance. I post there weekly, often more than once..Photos and pretties was opened up as a neutral blog that anyone can read while my other digs into my family life and such. If you would like to be an invited reader just shoot me an email to godscanvasatyahoodotcom. If not that is okay, but I just thought I would let you know.

In any case, thanks so much for swinging by! :)

March 12, 2010 at 7:39 AM  
Blogger Simply Mel said...

Beautiful pictures. I can see why you are so inspired by it.

Thanks for stopping by! Have a great weekend.

March 12, 2010 at 8:12 AM  
Blogger ~✽Mumsy✽~ said...

I like Spanish style homes! Thanks for sharing that information. I find it absolutely fascinating..

March 12, 2010 at 11:01 AM  
Anonymous Erin said...

My style is more like Kim's, french-english country, tad cottage, slightly eclectic, but to try to nail the style, farmhouse comfort with young family in mind!
I love your style as you know! When I was in Mexico for educational trip, I went to lots of churches that were breathtaking. I loved the culture and the Spanish influences were extraordinary. I especially loved Chapultapec Park, you should check it out, I think you'd appreciate it. Seeing it in person is amazing.

March 13, 2010 at 4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home