window.location.replace("http://debbie-debbiedoos.com/?b2w=http://debbie-debbiedoos.blogspot.com/2010/05/good-ole-fashioned-pub-and-pulpit.html"); -->

This Page

has been moved to new address

Good ole Fashioned PUB and PULPIT Dining Room transformation

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Debbiedoo's: Good ole Fashioned PUB and PULPIT Dining Room transformation

Debbiedoo's

Diy, thrifty home decor decorating ideas on a budget. Painting furniture, stenciling projects. Turning trash to treasure.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Good ole Fashioned PUB and PULPIT Dining Room transformation

Before Picture of our Dining room.  This is when I was actually selling the set....  
 

 

Believe it or not these are the  only pictures left in my archives....here is my Dining room transformation story!
This story is always worth sharing, even if I have shared it 1,000 times plus 2! When we moved into our home over 4 years ago, my husband always had this vision or dream I should say of having an Ethan Allen Dining room set.  When we moved here from South Florida, we sold our home mostly furnished and did not bring our Dining room set.  It was glass top, marble and rod iron, you know the look, and it worked so well in Florida, and never would here.  Anyhow, when pricing out the EA sets I was not willing to pay the retail price of their line of furniture.  My husband decided to look on Ebay and found the exact table we wanted for half the price, brand new.  Do not ask me how this company did it, we did not ask.  We then went to EA and purchased the chairs we liked and BAM had a beautiful dream DR! A year had gone by, untouched, never sat on on. Holding my breath every time the boys would even walk in the room.  To be honest, I hated the entire room.  It was a waste of space, and money in my opinion!  So one fine day as my wheels where turning to create......I came up with a genius idea.  An Old English pub room, tin ceiling, canopy top bar, I had a vision...( I told you I have secret powers like that) I ran upstairs  grabbed my camera, took some pictures of our Dining room, and listed it on EBAY!  Yes all without my husbands consent ( usually do not do that but I was so excited and knew I could convince him of the same)  So Mike comes home from work that night and I came downstairs to greet him ever so sweetly, and mentioned quickly Oh by the way the Dining room set is on EBAY!  WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT?  WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY? What are thinking??? Why did you do this without talking to me, what are you doing???? I said Mike sit down, calm down, here are my thoughts.....I started with tin ceiling, TIN ceiling, who is doing that? I said you are, you can do it, I know you can....then I proceeded to the bar idea, suddenly his entire body language changed, he started to gaze at the ceiling with almost delight, still not convinced he was capable....so the short of the long story is.....Dining room sold on Craigs list, EBAY was too difficult to get it shipped.  Had a local gal come pay us cash, broke even, remember I told you we bought it for half price to begin with, so she in turn was getting a deal, she loved to entertain and always wanted an EA table.  The room has since transpired into an awesome Man cave, so not a cave, wonderful game area, friends, fun and laughter!~ What more can a Man ask for?  And me, I am happy as a clam, it is OK if it gets scratched, adds character and history.
Most of our collection have meaning to us.  They where either given to us or we picked them out together....This Iroqoiuse clock has special meaning to my husband.  It was his Dad's and he said when he was a young boy he would stare at it for hours....well my husband recently reconnected with his Father after 17 years, and his Dad not really knowing the meaning the clock had to Mike, brought it to him when he last visited with us.....my husband had to replace the bubble glass and wasted no time doing so.....it is an awesome clock proudly displayed



My mom bought us this wine set some years ago, I forget if she bought it an an antique store or garage sale, we love it!
And then of course we have a PULPIT....doesn't everyone? There is a funny story on how we acquired this and you can read about it HERE
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_5tOA2F7YKT4/S2G9xzTslDI/AAAAAAAAAYY/nvNvDNHcbTU/s400/102_2361.JPG
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_5tOA2F7YKT4/S2tdYhYPNgI/AAAAAAAAAdE/DzA15d1roIg/s640/102_2402.JPG
Every PUB needs an ole time bartender...he is an oldie but goodie for sure, I believe he is from the 50's era he is not that old.....but he is good!
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_5tOA2F7YKT4/S2tdV96226I/AAAAAAAAAc8/uUip0mdh4_Y/s400/102_2403.JPG
SOme good photgraphs in here.....here is one fine example....
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_5tOA2F7YKT4/S2tjqWCl3BI/AAAAAAAAAdc/l-NO3OMbUow/s400/102_2404.JPG
Those where the days when you could bring your dog to the old pubs!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_5tOA2F7YKT4/S2tj18AY4AI/AAAAAAAAAdk/dM7IVP4y1o0/s400/102_2410.JPG
Hey some even brought their BOBCATS!
So that is our story of Dining room turned PUB room.  Hope you enjoyed the little history lesson.  Thanks as always to all the lovely hosts that make these linky parties possible.  I sure do appreciate it!~ Thanks for stopping by hope to see you again soon.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_5tOA2F7YKT4/S2tdO9Avr4I/AAAAAAAAAck/c9IJ7hMegZg/s400/101_6785.jpg
Today is Alphabet Thursday, hosted by Jenny Matlock,and today's letter is P! such a fun day and we learn so much...thank you Miss Jenny!~
http://jennymatlock.blogspot.com
http://www.theshabbychiccottage.net
http://itssoverycheri.com
http://firefliesandjellybeans.blogspot.com
http://romantichome.blogspot.com
http://missmustardseed.blogspot.com
http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com
http://www.remodelaholic.com

Labels:

70 Comments:

Blogger Momma Fargo said...

I still want to live with you at your house...even if we have to live in the magazine you will be featured in. You are awesome! Love the collections you have.

May 5, 2010 at 7:51 PM  
Blogger Jemsmom said...

I just love this! What a unique and awesome space! You have such a great talent!!!

May 5, 2010 at 7:55 PM  
Blogger Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

My husband would die a happy man if he could have this in our dining room! I let him have one room in our house and it is about 12x12!

This is truly amazing...what a great place for family and friends to gather...I love it!

Enjoy!
Cathy

May 5, 2010 at 8:02 PM  
Blogger Menopausal New Mom said...

Debbie, I'm freaking on the tin ceiling! I love this stuff, we have it in our kitchen, the old original stuff that we found in the loft of a barn, all old tiles that had been removed from an old building. If you look in my blog archives, there are photos of it in my "this old house" posts. We have just purchased 1400 square feet of more antique tiles and are having them restored for our log home. I LOVE IT! You're room is gorgeous!

May 5, 2010 at 8:06 PM  
Blogger Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I love your pub. That dining table was really pretty, but you don't need to keep what you don't use. Pub works much better.

May 5, 2010 at 8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deb: I loooove your dining room pub area and the tin ceiling!!!....where did you ever find the pub? is it bolted down to the floor? Bet you have some fun times in there!!!

May 5, 2010 at 8:39 PM  
Blogger The Decorative Dreamer said...

I would have loved to have been the lucky gal who got your dining table. So glad to hear the whole story behind the dining pub. You certainly do know how to live! I bet you will have many happy memories of times celebrated in this room.

May 5, 2010 at 8:50 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Oh my gosh - that is awesome! My husband would be in heaven.

May 5, 2010 at 9:23 PM  
Blogger Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

Always such a good story to hear!!! It turned out so perfect!

May 5, 2010 at 9:23 PM  
Blogger Pam - @diy Design Fanatic said...

The pub suits you so much better! (a pub is a lot more fun than a dining room set!)
Definitely a much more used space now!

May 5, 2010 at 9:38 PM  
Blogger Annesphamily said...

Wow! What a story! Incredible! Thank you for sharing. Anne

May 5, 2010 at 9:47 PM  
Blogger Red Couch Recipes said...

WOW!! That is quite a transformation and I DO think that you have special vision powers...I would have never thought of one nor the other. Joni

May 5, 2010 at 9:56 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I think my husband would go into cardiac arrest if I did something like that but wow!! How cool!!

May 5, 2010 at 10:05 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Debbie, love the pub and pulpit idea. This is a cute, clever post. Great story! Thanks for sharing. And thanks for stopping by HFTS. Hope to see you again.

May 5, 2010 at 10:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What amazing pieces! I love the pub.

May 5, 2010 at 10:11 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

I love this! So many times formal dining rooms are wasted space, used maybe twice a year. How neat that you were able to turn this into a space that is special for your family. The bar is beautiful, and I love the pulpit! What a fun room. Kathy

May 5, 2010 at 10:24 PM  
Blogger Terra said...

Been there done that, cept I haven't sold mine yet. Can't. Long story. But I tell you, I will never spend that kind of money of "stuff" again.

May 5, 2010 at 10:39 PM  
Blogger Here On Crow Creek said...

That room is amazing! I loved the story. I really like how you think darling! I will have to take you on down south NC to my goodwill sometime, I think you would really like it.

May 5, 2010 at 10:52 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Great looking bar. Took a picture of one that looked quite similar when we were on vacation last year.

May 5, 2010 at 10:56 PM  
Anonymous lissa said...

certainly not a boring place to sit and drank, I like the bartender cup display

May 5, 2010 at 10:57 PM  
Blogger xinex said...

It's a really fun room and beautiful too, Debby!

May 6, 2010 at 12:17 AM  
Blogger Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

That is really some makeover. The best part of it all, to me, is that you two agreed! He saw your vision and thought it good! (My first husband would have loved it too...this husband not so much..LOL
ok..the pulpet..he would like that prob'ly!
GREAT JOB!!
Mona :)

May 6, 2010 at 12:30 AM  
Blogger Kelle Dame said...

Such a great idea...so much more fun than a table you can't even touch :) Love the ceiling too!

PS I picked up one of those lights we were talking about from Lowe's today! I know its going to be perfect! Now I just need the hubby to install it.

May 6, 2010 at 12:35 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

What a fun way to have your "dining room", I love the unexpected and have coveted that bar since I saw it on RMS a year ago!

May 6, 2010 at 12:37 AM  
Blogger Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Debbie~ this is such a great transformation! I'll bet you really do get so much more use from the room now! Beautiful!!

May 6, 2010 at 12:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

bold choice..and oh so perfect! what a great idea.

May 6, 2010 at 12:52 AM  
Blogger Short and Sweet said...

Great transformation from dining room to pub! I would never have thought about doing what you and your husband did because I don't think outside the box! Poor me.

May 6, 2010 at 12:58 AM  
Blogger Vicki/Jake said...

What a great combo..a pulpit in a Pub...I love it! Just imagine what the sermons would be..hehe.

You're great Debbie!

May 6, 2010 at 1:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What fun! You have really made a living space that is your own!
Great story and good photos. Thanks for sharing.
Best wishes,
Anna
http://annasadornments.blogspot.com/2010/05/p-as-in-pearls-abc-wednesday-round-6-p.html

May 6, 2010 at 3:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the pub debbie, and all your great collections...Kathy

May 6, 2010 at 5:45 AM  
Anonymous Mary said...

How fun! Who needs a formal dining room when you can have a pub? Love the saloon book :-)

May 6, 2010 at 6:26 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

You are so amazingly creative. And you make things fun. What a neat family story and post.

May 6, 2010 at 6:31 AM  
Blogger Viki said...

How neat the dining room is a man cave LOL. That is really unique, I love it. It looks beautiful. Went and read about the pulpit. Interesting sign to acquire it.

May 6, 2010 at 6:44 AM  
Blogger ~✽Mumsy✽~ said...

You did an amazing job transforming that room! Gorgeous pub.

May 6, 2010 at 6:58 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

What a great idea! My dining room never gets used, ever! This is a more useable area now, love it! :)

May 6, 2010 at 7:11 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

what a wonderful transformation! Oh and happy P day from one "carolina gal" to another!

May 6, 2010 at 7:24 AM  
Blogger One Photo said...

It looks great - we have a formal dining area and like you, never use it so it is wasted space. What a great idea for reusing and reclaiming and I love the ceiling, how do you come up with such ideas?!

May 6, 2010 at 7:25 AM  
Blogger Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

I can't imagine any hubby not loving this room! Your hubby must be happy as a clam! Great thinking outside of the box!
Cindy

May 6, 2010 at 9:06 AM  
Blogger Christy said...

WOW! I don't even drink (ahem well, much anyhow) and I heart your Pub!!! Amazing transformation.

May 6, 2010 at 9:15 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I didn't know you moved to the Carolina's from South Florida. There are so many Floridians up there. My future in-laws did the same thing, and then all of their friends and neighbors ended up joining them. They're close to the Georgia border, and we love going up to visit them. The mountains are so beautiful!

May 6, 2010 at 9:40 AM  
Blogger Leslie {Goodbye, house. Hello, home!} said...

Different!
Delightful!
I love that you decided to make better use of this space, and I'm happy your hubby agreed!
Do you use this room more now?
I would!!
Our dining room is now our reading/study room (we spread stuff out on the table to look over).
It's not used as a dining room, anymore either.
Hmmmm..you got me to thinking.
And that's dangerous.

May 6, 2010 at 10:08 AM  
Anonymous flory said...

Debbie, it's gorgeous! i love it that way!

May 6, 2010 at 10:18 AM  
Blogger Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

What a fun awesome space! great vision you had and good job to your husband on the ceiling, I love it!

May 6, 2010 at 10:20 AM  
Blogger Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

What a fun awesome space! great vision you had and good job to your husband on the ceiling, I love it!

May 6, 2010 at 10:20 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Love the before and after shots. That tin ceiling and ligt fixture rock that room!

May 6, 2010 at 10:22 AM  
Anonymous jfb57 said...

Wow! Some transformation! We in the UK know all about pubs of course! ;)

May 6, 2010 at 10:49 AM  
Blogger MrsJenB said...

SO COOL!! Great thinking - I have always wished I had an eye for interesting pieces the way you do!

May 6, 2010 at 11:17 AM  
Blogger Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

A pub, a mans dream come true :)
Just stopping by to say hi
:) Kristin

May 6, 2010 at 12:04 PM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

Oh wow - - - no more table at all? I would NEVER have thought of doing that! It looks great.

Debbiedoo - - - you are soooooooo good and faithful to come to my blog and leave comments and I feel that I have been SO remiss as your bloggy friend! Lately (since Costa Rica really) I just haven't had as much time for playing in bloggy land as I would like. I HOPE to rectify that situation once school is out - - - which is in exactly 16 more school days!!!

Thank you - - - I just want you to know I NOTICE and I AM THANKFUL and I LOVE you.

May 6, 2010 at 12:14 PM  
Blogger Rocky Mountain Woman said...

Wow, gorgeous room! I'm planning on building a bar in my family room later this year, I might "borrow" a few of your ideas if that's ok?

Where I live in Park City, UT, you can still bring your dog to the pub! There's a column in our local newspaper titled "More Dogs on Main Street."

May 6, 2010 at 12:37 PM  
Anonymous Begoluna said...

Cheers and amen! :-)

Who would put a pulpit and a pub in the same house?!? Only Debbie!! Oh, this pulpit is "divine" design (there's a TV programme with that title)! :-)

I love the way you combine different elements, making them all feel part of your unique style.

Thank you to Mr. Doos for helping your fantastic wife so much. That ceiling is a masterpiece! Wow!

May 6, 2010 at 12:52 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Wow!

You are so clever and creative...

Darn, I guess those are C comments!

What a pleasant (sorry, that is such boring word but it's P week!), creative and fun space.

Really a neat stop today on my little journey through Alphabe-Thursday's Letter "P".

Who said dining rooms had to just have table and a hutch in them!

Wonderful!

A+

May 6, 2010 at 12:52 PM  
Blogger Nikki said...

Can you please come to my house!!!
I left you a couple of little things over at my blog!!!!

May 6, 2010 at 1:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The ceiling,the ceiling.I got stuck on that.Will look at it to my heart's content and then maybe appreciate the other things... Love what you did.Wish I had that kind of VISION!

May 6, 2010 at 2:07 PM  
Blogger Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

Great job! It is AMAZING! My hubby really wants to do a tin celing in our kitchen! Yours turned out great! :)

May 6, 2010 at 2:16 PM  
Blogger mrs. c said...

I too have one of those formal dining rooms, but we use ours. My table and chairs were inherited from my father-in-laws house and we do not worry about if there are scratches, because there are! I also love the table because I can use it for crafts and when I have Bunko! I love yours, what fun and the only thing I didn't see was a drink recipe book!

May 6, 2010 at 4:53 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

lovely post want to move in

May 6, 2010 at 5:05 PM  
Blogger VKT said...

Wow....what a fantastic idea Debbie!! I need to do something like that with my dining room....great p post my blogging buddy.

May 6, 2010 at 6:53 PM  
Blogger The Polka Dot Closet said...

I think that is one of the best stories I have read! I sat here smiling and throughly enjoyed it!!! You have a way with your man, you go girl! I love your blog and I am now a follower. I am a newbie and would love some followers or would be honored if you would just take a peek at my new blog filled with DIY, tip, tricks, and secrets!
thepolkadotcloset.blogspot.com/ Thank You so much Carol

May 6, 2010 at 10:31 PM  
Blogger Pondside said...

Good for you! You had a vision and you saw it through and now you've got a room everyone can enjoy everyday - much better than the most elegant dining room!

May 7, 2010 at 1:14 AM  
Blogger Cathy M~(checkitoff) said...

you are just so cool! what a fab idea!! love that history behind the clock~like it is time to re-connect with Dad~just awesome!! gives me goosebumps!

May 7, 2010 at 10:43 AM  
Blogger katie said...

that is awesome! i am definitely keeping this in mind. =) thanks for sharing!

May 7, 2010 at 8:08 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

what a wonderful idea you had. very cool!!!

May 7, 2010 at 8:42 PM  
Anonymous Joselyn said...

What a nice story! Glad to hear that you are enjoying your transformed space rather then living in fear of dents, scratches or dings.

May 7, 2010 at 11:43 PM  
Blogger Betty said...

Great job on the pub!

May 8, 2010 at 2:40 PM  
Blogger BLJ Graves Studio said...

Such a great transformation, and so much better that it is now a space you can all enjoy. :-)

May 10, 2010 at 9:21 AM  
Blogger Needles Everywhere said...

It's fabulous. So clever, so pub-elegant. What a grand idea.

May 10, 2010 at 7:20 PM  
Blogger FLOWERSHOPGURL said...

Hi Debbie, What a creative idea and a great story. It's sad to have a room all decorated and not used, but now that it is a "pub" I'm sure it is well loved. You are so creative, love it!
Hugz,
Kim

May 11, 2010 at 10:33 AM  
Blogger Miss Mustard Seed said...

Ha! OK, you are nuts (in the very best possible way.) You can have someone preaching at all of the people drinking over at the bar. I love how daring you are with your decor. It's clear that you are not going to settle for normal and I'm glad you're sharing it with us.

May 12, 2010 at 6:55 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

I just adore your house. You have great talent. I am inspired. Just had another idea for the corks. How about a can holder made out of the cork stoppers??? Wouldn't that be awesome?
Happy decorating!

May 13, 2010 at 7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home